Jobs Situation Report Pushes Stocks A Fraction From All Time High
Published Friday, June 4, 2021 at: 6:47 PM EDT
Today’s jobs situation report confirmed the recovery is on track and stocks closed a fraction from their all-time high.
Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 559,000 in May, and the unemployment rate declined three-tenths of 1% to 5.8%, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
In May, the number of unemployed persons fell by 496,000 to 9.3 million. The unemployment rate and the number of unemployed are considerably lower than the high of April 2020, but remain well above the best job situation ever -- the February 2020 pre-pandemic unemployment rate of 3.5%, when 5.7 million were unemployed.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index closed today at 4,229.89, which is only two-tenths of 1% from its all-time high. The index gained +0.88% from Thursday, +0.61% from last week and +61.61% since the March 23, 2021 bear market low.
Nothing contained herein is to be considered a solicitation, research material, an investment recommendation, or advice of any kind, and it is subject to change without notice. Any investments or strategies referenced herein do not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific person. Product suitability must be independently determined for each individual investor. Tax advice always depends on your particular personal situation and preferences. You should consult the appropriate financial professional regarding your specific circumstances.
The material represents an assessment of financial, economic and tax law at a specific point in time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. Forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties. Actual results, performance, or achievements may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Information is based on data gathered from what we believe are reliable sources. It is not guaranteed as to accuracy, does not purport to be complete, and is not intended to be used as a primary basis for investment decisions.
This article was written by a professional financial journalist for Advisor Products and is not intended as legal or investment advice.
©2021 Advisor Products Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Inflation Rate Doubled In Past Two Months
- Fed Signals It's Thinking About Starting To Talk About Tightening
- Expect Inflation To Make Investors Nervous Through 2021
- Stocks Closed At A Record, Ignoring A Bad Jobs Report
- Stocks Soared 5.2% In April; Now, For The Good News
- A Window Of Opportunity Is About To Close
- Retail Sales, Housing Starts, And Stocks Rocket Higher
- The Fed Is Not Braking The Boom Anytime Soon
- A Black Swan Event And Higher Taxes Persist As Financial Risks Amid The Boom
- What You Need To Know Right Now To Manage Your Wealth
- Economic Expectations Improved Almost Overnight
- Investors Beware: The Asset Valuation Paradigm Changed
- Fed Says It Will Stick To Its Plan, As Bond Yield Rises
- Amid Strong Crosscurrents, Stocks Sank 2.5% This Past Week
- A New Rover Landed On Mars And Stocks Closed Lower For The Week